ESL job interview question: How do you teach table etiquette?

Recommended answer:


I develop the following basic table etiquette skills:
  • Elbows off the table – show young people how to sit with their hands on their lap while waiting for a meal to be served.
  • Napkin bibs are not required - most of the time, tucking a napkin into their shirt isn’t appropriate. Show them how to place their napkin on their lap when they sit down.
  • Be hospitable – it is best to serve others, particularly guests, at the table before serving themselves.
  • Remind to use the magic words please and thank you.
  • Toilet talk is not table talk. I teach my students relevant conversations while at the table and during this session practice possible conversation topics with my students.

Also, I give my students a helpful reminder – to avoid burping at the table. Also, I make sure students know that they need to practice taking small bites, waiting to swallow before talking, and using their cutlery at all times correctly.


More: http://youthworkinit.com/2012/06/14/7-steps-to-teaching-table-etiquette-to-youth/


More interview questions-answers...