ESL job interview questions: How do you start your class? What are the first few minutes of each class like? Do you let kids meander in and waste time, or do you have a plan to get them started each day?

Answer 1

I have an assignment written on the board so that students immediately have work to do. I make it a routine, so that students already know what is expected of them each day. This also allows me the time to take attendance, check homework, or even speak to a student briefly if needed. It also helps students to get settled in quickly, instead of wasting time talking or doing nothing because they are waiting for me.


Answer 2

I prepare flip charts and display them each time I start a class. Students can immediately see  what is expected of them and can perform their tasks diligently.

More questions-answers...